Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Slight Delay

So as a theme of my time here in AmeriCorps NCCC, we are again being asked for flexibility. This time, I don't especially mind it. We've had changes to our start date for Project #1. There were delays with our sponsor being ready for us, so we've moved back the date a week to Monday November 10. This means that we get another week for research on the area, to get some easy ISP hours under our belts, and to generally enjoy Sacramento. There is a group talking of taking a weekend trip to Yosimite, which I would definately be down for.

The last week has been jam packed basically from 5:30am-10:00pm, thus the lack of blog updates. We've had plenty of time at Red Cross shelter management seminars as well as researching our project and our rolls on the projects as our team positions.

The weekend was fairly relaxing, at least. On Saturday we took part in 'Make a Difference Day' of Sacramento where we did maintainance on an elementary school garden. They didn't have enough work for us to do, so we were out of there by mid-morning. I was able to spend the afternoon doing errands and went out to karaoke with team members at a local Vietnamese restaurant. Sunday I finally made it out to Old Sacramento during the day. The place reminded me of Frontierland at Disneyworld with a lot less Country-Bears USA and a lot more motorcyclists. All the buildings were Old-West style, and offered very Disneyesque cheap Chinese souveneer and deliciously overpriced candy. I had a caramel apple with almonds on it-- a definate good choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom and I also had a carmel apple. But no almonds on it. Love, Dad

Ryan said...

Hey buddy, if you want cheap Japanese souveigneirs (I have no clue how to spell souvuahneirs) then let me know. Japan is full of them!

I am enjoying your summations.

Let me know how Yosemite is!

- Harps