So it's another one of those big announcement days. We now know the placement of our first project. And the name of that first placement is... Compton, CA.
I know what you're all thinking-- Jesse isn't that the birthplace of N.W.A., the Bloods, and gang warfare in general? Well, yes. But thanks to a quick perusal of Wikipedia, I now know that it has a significantly decreased crime rate due to a recently beefed up sheriff's department, is a very diverse community, and was recently designated as an 'Entrepreneurial Hot Spot' by Cognetics, Inc. But besides that, it is still a severely depressed area and can use all the help it can get from Federal aid (us).
The project as I understand it right now is three part. The first part is to conduct interviews among the residents about services and unmet needs that the area has. The second is a construction and restoration project on a local abandoned naval base which is being converted into a community center of sorts. The third is to perform educational services to locals about disaster situation procedures; this would include both natural and manmade disasters (e.g. earthquakes and riots). I don't know much right now, but am in a position to learn a lot more very soon. I've been appointed the Service Learning Initiator-- someone who researches the ins and outs of the work we'll be performing-- as well as the Vehicle, Safety and Tools Coordinator. Suffice it to say, I'm going to get to know how to get along in LA really quick. We leave for the project on Nov. 3 and will be there about 10 weeks: a very long stay for one project. We'll be there until late January.
I'll fill everyone in as I know more. This was a big surprise. I definately didn't expect Compton of all the places in the US, but if there's anywhere where we can have an impact I suppose it is there.
2 comments:
I hope you remember your Spanish!
Love, Dad
To avoid gang conflict over colors, you should try and dress in a sort of shimmering, grayish, non-color body suit for the duration of your stay.
Post a Comment