Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Yet another reflective post

As the year is coming to an end, I'm again thinking back on my AmeriCorps experience. For more seven out of the last twelve months, I was surrounded by awesome people, meaningful work, and a spirit of idealism and adventure. I wonder looking back whether in my time I was being spoiled. Yes, I did live a rather meager existence ($4 a day on food, sleeping on a cot, no privacy), but the benefits way outweighed any of those minor inconveniences.

I got to move all over the country. I ate a home cooked meal about 5 nights of the week. I went out sometimes two or three nights at a week with friends. I occasionally ate at exotic and ethnic restaurants. I was approached with gratitude by people when they knew what I was doing. I got a bunch of free stuff and went skiing 4 times for free. I lived a fairly carefree existence.

Now I live a very immobile life back at home and go through the drudgery of making a dollar as most of the people in the US do. Moments last year were so good, they seem like a great dream. Now I keep dreaming of going back and doing another year, maybe as a TL or maybe in a different program. If I don't get accepted into a grad school, this will be a practical choice. If I do get accepted-- or specifically get accepted to one that isn't my top choice-- I keep musing on whether they would let me defer a year in order to do another year of AmeriCorps.

I wonder, though, would doing so be a self-indulgent thing to do? It seems an oxymoron, considering it is a year of serving people and living simply. On the other hand I feel guilty that so many people don't get to do as awesome of things as I was able to do. I don't think that the program is a government funded vacation, by any means. It is a fiscally well-run organization from what I know.

I'm sort of rambling by now, but my point is that I'm filled with a weird mix of gratitude, longing, and guilt. I'm so thankful that I was able to do those things, and at the same time I long to get out and do more. This makes me wish that I could be content with where I am for one second, since I will be here for at least another 4.5 months. I also wish I could be grateful for the blessings that the last 5 months have given me (free room and board with the parents, a means of income, friends that I can visit on weekends), but I those great memories from the first 7 months seem to leave me terminally discontented.

Well, here's a final toast to the last year. May the next bring as many good memories, revelations, outlets of generosity, and moments of gratitude.

No comments: