Friday, May 8, 2009

Reactions and News

Well, it's been a few days now and the news is in...

We're headed to New Orleans for the last project. I don't know much right now, but we are hoping to be near the Garden District doing a project that involves making houses more energy efficient and 'green'. I don't think it's the Brad Pitt one in the 9th ward, as some of you may be thinking. We will be installing insulation, foaming windows, and other things that I don't really understand at the present moment on older houses. That is, we won't be building houses but improving existing ones. Hopefully our expertise we are picking up with Habitat will help us down the road.

Where we are staying sort of depends on the present NCCC group that is starting the project right now. They are renting out an house and serving with the same sponsor and will be handing off the place once we get there. If it doesn't work out for them, then we'll find something else. I'm hoping things go smoothly since I hear good things about the area. The 'Magazine Street' that I wrote about in the previous post runs right through the area.

Habitat is going fine, though I have 2 days off to enjoy for a little future planning and getting out of the heat and humidity. Even mornings now are like running through pea soup, expecially when you are... well... running. I almost tossed my cookies after yesterday's 3 miler during PT, the heat was so bad. The plus side is that I beat the rest of my teammates to the finish. Colin better start training if he wants to beat me in our next race.

We are now putting up drywall in the first house, though I have been taking a back seat. You can only comfortably fit so many people in one of those houses, and the equipment for putting up sheet rock is bulky and awkward. As a result I've been mostly working outside this week: digging up dirt mounds, killing fire ants, and putting up the last of the siding on the second house.

My reactions to the whole not getting the TL position thing are pretty good right now. I realize that for one that the people that interviewed me don't really know me, and it need not be a judge of my character or potential. I also know that I've been a bit wary of the rules, guidelines, and general lack of freedom that this year has provided. To become one that would enforce that restriction of freedom would have been something else entirely. I also realize that on some level, I was setting myself on the option of TL out of convenience. I knew the people, I understood the program, I knew the area, I didn't have to go through as much research to find the program. My hope now is to find another program that I can approach all-cylinders-firing. My fear is that I'm going to get desperate and rush into my next thing, but I'm giving myself a good amount of time to temper that fear. I would appreciate any input as for brainstorming ideas.

My ideas at the present go a little something like this... I would like to live on my own for a while, and wouldn't mind spending some time in one spot. I'd really like to serve more with AmeriCorps-- I'm not ready to jump into grad school or the science world right now. I think an AmeriCorps State/National Program would be about right for me. Something on the side of conservation would be cool because I was itching for a conservation project with NCCC and sadly never recieved one. I'm looking at cities and areas that I've been eager to explore but not had the opportunity: the Southwest and the Northwest seem like likely spots to begin. Just a few thoughts for now. Hopefully the next few days will bring me more direction.

2 comments:

Dad said...

You asked for some advice about a direction to go. Here's mine: pray about it. This will give you two benefits: (1) you get to be in a more intimate relationship with God and (2) you'll find that he knows what he's doing in giving you just what you need.

Love, DAD

K-Rock said...

Hmm. Well, I'm not exactly uber-awesome at giving advice on futures, but a) I agree with your dad, and b) maybe there's a bigger window opening. I know you are really enjoying Americorps, but if you don't find a program that suits you just right, maybe consider something similar that allows you to stay in one place, like working at a not-for-profit you're passionate about. Or maybe even finding a position with Habitat for a little while. There are lots of opportunities like that. I know you'll find something you like. :)