Monday, May 4, 2009

Quick Update

Hey all,

Have to make this quick. The library closes in about 10 minutes.

Made a trip to New Orleans for the first time this weekend, and was happily impressed. Had some good food and drink throughout the weekend, though it has been an exhausting one. Worked yesterday out in a hot tent for the New Orleans Jazz Festival for 4 hours and not feeling too good from the night before, but bounced back and enjoyed seeing Buddy Guy play in the Blues tent as a closing act. I saw a snippet of Neil Young, but was so hot, hungry and exhausted that I didn't try to fight the crowd.

I have to say, Bourbon Street-- the big touristy part of town known for its Mardi Gras action-- is a dump. It smells like puke and horse droppings. Don't ever go there if you enjoy nice things. We hit up Magazine Street, a more sleepy residential part of town, today and had a good time. I've also heard French Street is great for music and a more authentic local flavor. Maybe next time I'm in the city.

Well I have news and more waiting as of now for future events. I still am waiting on news as to what our next project is. We all are predicting New Orleans, but I'll be happy about anywhere. There is some cool stuff going on there with the St. Bernard project rebuilding houses in St. Bernard Parish which got obliterated by Katrina.

The other news is that I didn't get the spot for Team Leader for next year. It stinks, but what I've learned from other failures is that the less time spent dwelling on it and the more time exploring other exciting alternatives the better off you will be.

3 comments:

Dad said...

You're right, son. Dwelling on why we don't get what we think we deserve is a huge waste of time. I'm proud that you've made the decision to put it aside. Something better awaits.

Love, Dad

Kati said...

Excellent name for your blog! Too bad about the TL position, but as you said, other opportunities await.

K-Rock said...

Do you think you'll still do another year of Americorps? Despite the downs, you'll find some ups! Like visiting NOLA! You should visit the wax museum. They have one of Napoleon in a bath tub. Anyway, you've made a decision to kind of go where the wind blows you (or rather where the 'corps blows you...), and that is one of the more exciting aspirations to have while we're still young, so right on, Jesse! Enjoy it!