Not much to report recently: I still am struggling to get through this education project in one piece. The only exception was last week we were informed of the location and general line of work for our next. At the beginning of the year this would have been a big deal; however, by now it's sort of just a matter of business. We pretty much knew we were headed for the Gulf anyways, it was just a matter of where.
The project is working with Lafayette County Habitat for Humanity. Unfortunately I don't know much else other than we will be living in a Habitat-built house until the end of June. We will probably be spending a lot of our time on this stretch of projects leading college and high-school age volunteers on Alternative Spring Breaks. The housing need in the area is mostly due to the much-glossed over Hurricane Rita, which blew through shortly before Katrina. The area is very deep in Creole country, and in fact has the highest concentration of the French-speaking Acatians, formerly from Nova Scotia. I've been told the city is very nice and has a lot of culture for not a huge amount of people. Our team leader has actually worked with Habitat there in the past.
The real exciting part for me right now is how often we are going to be able to get into New Orleans once we get there, and what route we will take across the US. The New Orleans part should be interesting since we will be arriving about the same time as a huge, multi-week Jazz festival with such big names as Neil Young, Wilco, Tony Bennett, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, etc. I think even Bon Jovi is going to show up. I'm banking on seeing Chris Smither, an awesome New Orleans-born blues/folk singer.
The travel route is another big thing that I'm looking excitedly into right now. There's a very good chance that we can convince our unit leader to let us take a few tents and spend an extra day at the Grand Canyon and perhaps Zion National Parks. The trip would also take us through the city of Alberquerque, which I've heard is very nice. After that, it's kind of up in the air though Texas and possibly Oklahoma. If anyone has any particular ideas of routes or attractions through those areas feel free to let me know. I'm not particularly looking forward to the hours of nothing through Texas that I have heard so much about from other teams.
6 comments:
You'll enjoy Albuquerque and Santa Fe. About 60 miles west of Albuquerque is the oldest continually inhabited village in North America. The name of it is Acoma Pueblo and it's up on a very high flat top mesa. The buildings are ancient and Indians dress traditionally. Make sure you visit Old Town Albuquerque and the old mission there. Have fun traveling. Ride the tram up to the Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, too.
Grandma Donna
Never forget, you won't be driving through "nothing" in Texas. Lots of people think it's special. That's why they live there.
Love, Dad
Dearest, FYI the northside of GC will be closed doesn't open until mid May. Zion is beautiful but it too is pretty remote and snowy this time of year. I would encourage you to think about Brice Canyon. Beautiful! Just check to see when it is open. Texas is awesome so is Albuquerque, Dad and I loved both. Lots to see and lots of history. No matter where you travel out west take plenty of water and make sure you have enough gas. Service stations are far apart.
By nothing I meant no scenery-- flat spaces without end. I'm sure the people of the great state of Texas find it charming, but for driving purposes it's about as exciting as watching Sunrise Earth in earnest.
It looks like the Zion/Grand Canyon thing is off for now. Usually those side excursions are designated for after projects on the way home as a 'reward'. I think this is a bunch of hooey personally and that we are worthy of a few extra miles on the van. That and on the way back the place is going to be hot and clogged with tourists.
I'll be plenty jealous if you get to see the New Orleans jazz festival! I read the lineup in the paper the other day, and it looks like they'll have some non-jazz folk in there too, who have just dabbled... like Erykah Badu. Should be fun! But most of all, you should be looking foward to the crawfish and gumbo! MMM. Don't be afraid to suck the heads out of the crawfish. It's the best part. :)
I'm actually going to Lafayette during what I am told is "Crawfish Season". The person that told me is from Lafayette is has personally guaranteed me that I will be invited to a crawfish boil. This project just keeps getting better and better.
Post a Comment